YUM. That’s about all I can say. This is a fave for me, it is easy and versatile and super delicious. Try some this week – and come back here and let me know how it turned out!
Roasted Vegetables, Five Ways:
makes a whole lot
1 large eggplant, peeled and diced (put on plate with paper towels and microwave 5 minutes to remove extra moisture)
1-2 red bell peppers
1-2 yellow squash
1 red onion
1 package baby portabella mushrooms, quartered
kosher salt and pepper
Chop all the vegetables to about 1 1/2 inch dice. Spread on two baking sheets and toss with olive oil, salt and pepper. Roast at 400 for 20 minutes or so, stirring and rotating pans halfway through cooking time, until tender and golden.
Now, let’s talk about five delicious ways to serve these roasted veggies. I prefer every method to involve Basil Pesto (or chopped basil) and some type of cheese. Even better with fresh chopped tomatoes added before serving. Here are some ideas:
1. Over Quinoa or Israeli Couscous (I cook it with vegetable or chicken broth), with a dollop of pesto and crumbled feta cheese.
2. On a pizza, with pesto instead of pizza sauce, with crumbled goat cheese and pine nuts.
3. Over pasta, tossed with pesto and grated parmesan cheese.
4. In a whole grain wrap, with pesto mayo (mix together equal parts) and muenster cheese, warmed up.
5. All by themselves, tossed with pesto and served alongside grilled anything!